The Classic Mortar and Pestle
We pride ourselves on taking the extra time, and making the extra effort to work closely with our prescribers and patients to ensure you receive the best treatment possible. We’re truly a concierge pharmacy.
Most medications can treat most of the people most of the time, but not all
the people all of the time. The solution to this is custom medication through compounding. What this means for you is a more personal, tailored way to manage your health.
Nora Apothecary is a compounding pharmacy. Compounding is the process of creating “custom” medications. Some conditions are best treated with medications that are not available in standard commercial formulations. With a compounded prescription, you get the most effective treatment, delivered in the most appropriate and convenient dosage form. Examples of when compounded prescriptions are useful include:
- to create a customized medication for a patient who cannot tolerate inactive ingredients such as gluten, lactose, preservatives, and dyes found in manufactured medicines.
- to fill a patient’s need if there is a manufacturing shortage of a medication.
- to treat hormonal imbalances by providing hormone replacement therapy tailored to a patient’s unique hormone profile.
- to address any sensitivity, allergies, or other restrictions.
- to help a child who cannot take a pill, is sensitive to additives found in mass-manufactured medications, needs a liquid version of a medication, or requires a smaller dose than what is available through mass manufactured medicines.
- to adjust the strength of a medication.
- to change the dosage form of a medication for patients who, for example, have difficulty swallowing pills. We can create liquids, troche/lollipop, transdermal/topical creams, suppositories, or other dosage forms suitable for patients’ unique needs.
- to make a pet’s medication easier to administer by dosage form and flavoring
- Capsule/tablet size of a commercially available drug is too large to swallow
- Individualized strengths are required
- Preservative free formulations are required
- Palatable flavors and dosage forms to increase patient compliance
- Combining multiple medications into one preparation to increase patient compliance
- Drug shortage or discontinuation of a commercially available drug
- Avoid unwanted systemic side effects of oral administration
Manufactured Medicine & and “the Void”
Many wonderful medicines are available today, but because of the fierce competition in our market and the standardization of mass produced medications, there is a void… Most mass produced medicines have limited strengths and dosage forms, which do not quite fit the needs of many patients. Other good medications are discontinued simply because of lack of profit to the manufacturer. Many physicians seek customized and unique formulations for their patients.
Today, pharmacy compounding conveniently fills in the gaps that are left open by the pharmaceutical industry. Most retail pharmacies dispense pre-measured and pre-mixed dosages of medications. Medications that are mass-manufactured may not meet the needs of every patient. Compounding allows physicians to customize medications to fit YOUR specific, individual needs.
Contact Nora Apothecary custom compounding pharmacy today to ask about a pharmaceutical solution best suited for you!
What We Do
Compounding medicine plays a unique and crucial role in healthcare, allowing providers to custom-tailor a patient’s medication. Customized Medications Offer Therapeutic Alternatives and Improve Compliance
Compounding is the traditional but sometimes forgotten work of the pharmacist. From the1800’s to the mid1900’s, prescriptions were compounded by the pharmacist and customized for each individual patient. Prior to the 1850’s, all prescriptions in the United States had to be made from scratch or compounded by the apothecary (or now known as the pharmacist). Once manufactured medications became widely available, pharmacists stopped compounding until recently. Why the need for compounding now, you might ask?